Friday, November 16, 2007

Catching up! Our trip to Louisiana/Mississippi




I am not sure where the time goes but it has been a couple weeks since I have updated the blog. Rob, Emmalee and I flew to New Orleans on October 22 so we could attend my Uncle Jimmy's funeral. Rob's Mom and Step Dad picked us up from the airport, there was a bad storm in the South so we were a little late getting in. My Dad flew to Gulfport, MS and was also late getting in. Rob, Emmalee and I got up early on the 23rd and drove to Biloxi, we met the family at the funeral home. It was a very bittersweet time. It was the first time Mamaw, Papaw, Kelly, Justin and Aunt Margie would meet Emmalee and we were there for such a sad occasion. Emmalee looked beautiful and played and smiled with everyone. It was wonderful to see the friends and family who came to show their love and support. Uncle Jimmy touched many peoples lives. The Masonic Lodge perfomed a beautiful graveside service. I know it was not easy for them to do but it was incredible. The three of us returned to New Orleans that night and came back to spend more time with my side of the family on the 24th. Mom, Dad, Mamaw, Papaw, Rob, Emmalee and I went to a restaurant called "The Orleans Cafe" to have sea food. Emmalee had her first taste of Gumbo, shrimp, oysters and redbeans and rice. She really enjoyed the gumbo. We spent most the day at Mamaw and Papaw's it is amazing the changes that are taking place with the building of the school. The land looks so small now that you can see Big John Road from the backyard. In the afternoon we decided to go to Pascagoula to see if we could find Rob's Dad. After about 45 minutes of driving around we found the house. Rob's Dad was home so we stopped and said hello. We had a very nice visit with him and we went down to the "Annex" where his Dad was meeting some of his family for dinner. We saw Rob's Grandma, Aunt, Uncle and a Great Aunt. We went back to Rob's Dad's house and he should us the garage he built on the back of the lot. I now know where Rob gets his tool fettish.

We spent the 25th in Mandeville. Rosemary, Al, Patty, Rob, Emmalee and I had lunch at a neat restaurant on the shore of Lake Ponchetrain. Then Rob drove Emmalee and me around and showed us some of the hangouts and I finally got to meet Burt and Virginia. It was nice to be able to put places and faces too where I have heard so many stories. That evening Rosemary cooked a wonderful dinner and had family over so we could see everyone before we returned home to Phoenix. It was really nice to see everyone, I just wish we had had more time. We had the pleasure of meeting our Great Neice Mia. She is a beautiful little girl, Emmalee was a little jealous when I held her. Here are some pictures from My Uncle Jimmy's grave. My camera jammed and I was not able to take any pictures of Rob and his Dad. We used Rosemary's camera (Al's camera) and took some pictures of the family on our last night. We are working on getting those so I will add those when I can.

No comments: